Exciting news to share! The Todd & Stephanie Schnick Foundation will be launching our new college scholarships in 2022! We’re thrilled at the chance to offer more opportunities for disadvantaged youth to pursue and fulfill their dreams and aspirations!
Foundation To Be Named Later / Schnick Foundation / Peter Gammons College Scholarships
In partnership with The Foundation To Be Named Later (co-founded by former Red Sox and Cubs executive Theo Epstein) and Peter Gammons Scholars (the famous sports journalist), we are in the initial stages of creating scholarships to invest in the next generation of leaders, for the 2022-23 school year. The nomination/application process will begin Spring, 2022!
We’ll send deserving young people who have overcome tremendous obstacles, have significant financial needs, and a proven record of service to others, to the college of their choice! Here are some additional components to our program:
- Our scholars are eligible for a 4-year scholarship that pays their tuition gaps;
- We pair them with a caring adult mentor (with similar background and experience);
- We provide them with a laptop;
- We provide leadership training;
- We provide financial counseling (via CollegePossible.org); and
- We provide additional special opportunities to help them reach their goals and change the trajectory of their lives!
For our Chicagoland scholarships, we’ll partner with the Union League Boys & Girls Clubs, and that organization will make the nominations for the scholarships from amongst the 15,000+ kids they serve. We are excited about the opportunity to serve those amazing kids, and provide more opportunities for them to do big things and make their lives extraordinary!
Our initial year one fundraising goal is $24,000 – which will provide between three and six scholarships, depending on the individual needs of the selected applicants. With additional support, we’d love to be able to provide more scholarships. We’ll be pressing hard Fall, 2021 to raise more dollars to expand the program. Wanna help?
Long term goals (side projects):
- One of the central tenants of our support for these scholarships is a focus on providing leadership development training and encouragement. Elements of this are already embedded in the program, but I am keen to do so research and brainstorming with our (soon-to-be-announced) Advisory Committee about innovative ways we can expand this important work.
- The kids that are looking to engage with these scholarships are clearly an engaged lot, and looking for opportunities to grow, learn, and excel. I’d love to figure out a way to supplement our support, and their efforts, by providing impactful books (and potentially other resources) as gifts to encourage and support their ongoing efforts.
Where do our scholarships go from here?
We’ll be launching our scholarships in 2022 for the 2022-23 school year!
Be certain to bookmark this post, as all updates on our progress will be first reported here.
For now, send an email here to ask any questions about the scholarships, or about helping to sponsor them, and enabling us to serve more youth!